Showing posts with label Signing Dickey/Wright. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Signing Dickey/Wright. Show all posts

Sunday, December 02, 2012

Mets News and Notes: Dickey, Alderson's Plan, Wright


Mets News and Notes:

Mets GM Sandy Alderson confirmed that he met with R.A. Dickey for about ten minutes today, but said that the talk was purely social, tweets Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com. Alderson said that he wouldn't negotiate without the knuckleballer's agent present.

R.A. Dickey told reporters, including Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, he wants to remain a Met, "That’s 100 percent my hope. That being said, you never want to be taken advantage of."

Alderson also stressed that a resolution on Dickey doesn't have to come during the meetings, tweets Marc Carig of Newsday.

No big surprise, but Alderson expects to focus on the trade market as he doubts there are sufficient free agents at Mets' spending capacity to meet all of their needs, Rubin tweets.

The Rangers are interested in talking with the Mets about R.A. Dickey at the Winter Meetings this week, a source tells T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com. The Rangers aren't alone in having interest in the knuckleballer as the Mets have taken calls from six or seven teams looking to swing a trade. The Mets are expected to look for outfield help and catching in a deal.

David Wright will undergo a physical tomorrow that will complete his $138MM contract extension with the Mets, a Major League source tells ESPNNewYork.com's Adam Rubin.



Thursday, November 08, 2012

Mets Assistant Gm Ricco Speaks about decision on Bay, Wright/Dickey Contract Negotiations


Mets Assistant GM John Ricco talked to ESPN's Adam Rubin at the GM Meetings in California.

He talked about a variety of topics including the decision on Jason Bay and the Wright and Dickey Contract talks.

On the talk of Bay,  Ricco said the Mets initiated the Bay buyout talks.

“There were no discussions prior to the season ending. As you guys all lived with him and saw him, he was giving his best right till the end. But it was a difficult time for him and we saw that, and I think at some point decided. But as Sandy said, we really were hopeful to bring him back and see what he could do, but at the end of the day we reached an agreement that really works for both of us.”

"I think it’s safe to say it will help us, but to the extent? I can’t really say," Ricco said. "But what it does do obviously is it clears up a situation, not in a positive way, positive in terms of there’s no lingering doubt as to, ‘Is he going to come back, is he going to be the player he used to be?’ We have some certainty that he’s moved on. Now we know what we need to do and we know who we have, and we’ll have to address that moving forward.”

On Wright talks, Ricco said: “They’re ongoing. We’re still discussing. I’ve been through enough of these that it’s hard to say what’s close, what’s not. We’ve had dialogue, and they kind of have, each of these has a speed to itself. So it’s hard for me to predict. But we’re still in dialogue with him and optimistic we can get something done.”

Friday, November 02, 2012

Mets off-season plans depend on "The Wright Situation"


The Mets have many holes to fill this off-season..The Mets have needs at catcher, outfield and bullpen, but everything is secondary to completing a deal with Wright, whose agents are continuing discussions with team brass about a long-term contract extension for the All-Star third baseman.

The Mets earlier this week exercised their 2013 option on Wright worth $16 million, but if a long-term deal can’t be struck, there is a real possibility Wright will be traded before next month’s Winter Meetings conclude.

Yesterday a source said negotiations between Wright’s agents, Sam and Seth Levinson, and the Mets were ongoing, but stuck in neutral.

Wright, who will turn 30 next month, is believed to be seeking a seven-year contract in the $125 million range, which, coupled with his picked-up option (at either the current rate or a newly negotiated sum), would give him the largest deal in franchise history.

The Mets also picked up R.A. Dickey’s 2013 option, worth $5 million, earlier this week, but all indications are the team won’t begin serious negotiations with the knuckleballer until Wright’s situation is resolved.

There is the possibility the 38-year-old Dickey would want to know Wright’s status before agreeing to a new contract with the team. Trading Dickey also remains a possibility if a deal can’t be reached with the right-hander.

Former Reds and Nationals GM and ESPN Analysis Jim Bowden described the Mets front office as treating David Wright negotiations in a similar fashion to the way things went with Jose Reyes. Still,  Bowden predicted Wright ultimately would agree to an extension in the neighborhood of seven years, $126 million with the club (presumably on top of the $16 million extension for 2013 that already has been picked up).

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Mets ready to sign David Wright to BIG Extension?


Reasons to Smile?
New York Post's Joel Sherman has spoken to more than ten executives outside the Mets organization who believe the team will re-sign David Wright and relatively soon.

It's a public relations move as much as a baseball move, plus getting him signed quickly will allow them to fine tune their off-season plans.

Officials expect Wright to receive a six-year, $127MM extension that, when combined with his $16MM club option for next year, would be worth a total of seven years and $143MM.

It would make Wright the highest paid Met in history (ahead of Johan Santana) and the second high paid third baseman in history (behind Alex Rodriguez).

Friday, October 26, 2012

Mets News and Notes: Wright/Dickey Contracts, Backman, Recker


Mets News and Notes:

The Mets have yet to have discussions with representatives for David Wright and R.A. Dickey about years and dollars on contract extensions, according to the Daily News.

Both players have team options for 2013.

It stands to reason at this point that both players' options will be picked up shortly after the World Series to keep them under the Mets' control while the sides talk about longer-term deals.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wally Backman will remain the Mets' Triple-A manager for 2013.

Backman managed Buffalo to a 67-76 record this past season, in his third season managing in the minors for the organization. The Mets' Triple-A affiliate is moving to Las Vegas for next season.

There was no turnover on the Mets' major league coaching staff.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mets have claimed right-hitting catcher Anthony Recker off waivers from the Chicago Cubs.

Recker, 29, has a .152 average with one homer and four RBIs in 66 career major league at-bats with Oakland and Chicago spanning the past two seasons.

The move gives the Mets one righty-hitting option in spring training, although Recker likely provides depth at Triple-A.

Monday, October 15, 2012

Mets News: Formal Contract Negotiations with Dickey and Wright will begin Next Week


Mets GM Sandy Alderson has made it no secret that signing both David Wright and R.A. Dickey beyond 2013 is one of his top offseason priorities, and a source told Andy Martino of The New York Daily News that formal contract negotiations with both players could begin next week. "Too early to tell," said a source when asked if either player could agree to a new deal this month.

Earlier this week we learned that the team intends to open talks with Wright by offering a deal in the $100MM range, which would be in line with the six-year, $100MM extension Ryan Zimmerman signed with the Nationals earlier this year. The 29-year-old Wright hit .306/.391/.492 with 21 homers this year, and the Mets will surely exercise his $16MM club option for next season soon after the World Series.

Dickey, 37, could be in line for an Oliver Perez-like contract following his Cy Young caliber season, meaning three years and $36MM. The club will surely exercise his $5MM club option for 2013 as soon as necessary. Martino hears that Alderson is sincere in his desire to sign Dickey, but there is some in the organization who are concerned about his age and injury history. The knuckleballer pitched through a torn abdominal muscle this season and dealt with a right foot problem last year.

Saturday, October 06, 2012

Mets could have new contracts in place for Dickey and Wright before the World Series Begins


It's likely that Mets third baseman David Wright and starting pitcher R.A. Dickey could have new contracts in place by the time the World Series begins, a source told the New York Post's Mike Puma.

The Mets hold options on both players for 2013 -- $16 million for Wright and $5 million for Dickey -- that are all but certain to be exercised should new deals not be in place in time.

Wright is believed to be seeking a contract valued at at least $125 million over seven years. He hit .306/.391/.492 with 21 home runs and 15 stolen bases in 670 plate appearances this season while being selected to the All-Star team for the sixth time.

Dickey, a contender for the NL Cy Young award, was 20-6 with a 2.73 ERA, 1.05 WHIP and led the NL with 230 strikeouts and 233 2/3 innings. The knuckleball pitcher turns 38 this month.

Monday, August 27, 2012

Mets News and Notes: Collins, Expected payroll, Signing Dickey/Wright, Gee, Slumping Murphy, Valdespin, Wheeler, Second-half Swoon



Mets News and Notes:

A source tells Mike Puma in the Post there is "no chance" Terry Collins will be fired after the season.

Sandy Alderson said he expected the 2013 payroll to be in the vicinity of $100 million -- comparable to this season -- although he again maintained during a Q&A with season-ticket holders Sunday that he has yet to get a firm figure from ownership.

"I have not talked to Fred [Wilpon] or anyone else about where that payroll is going to be, but I’m hopeful we’ll be in the same range if not somewhat higher," Alderson said. "But I can’t confirm that at this point. What I look at is what our needs are and how we fill those needs. And there’s no question that being able to add to the payroll is an important part of being able to address those. So is the willingness to make trades, trade prospects, bring players in from outside -- so lots of things to take into account.

"I wish I could tell you exactly where we’re going to be. You can probably sense where my sentiments would be. It’s something we have to address, various scenarios. We’ll see exactly where we land. It’s an important point, an important question, and I wish I could give you a better answer at this point. But I expect to be able to give you a better answer in the next few weeks -- well, before I have to spend it, anyway." 

The GM expressed his intent to re-sign David Wright and R.A. Dickey, although that also was his official position with regards to Jose Reyes. Wright and Dickey are under control for next season through team options. Wright has indicated he is uninterested in negotiating during the 2013 season -- with Dickey less resolute on that subject. Essentially, the Mets have this offseason to try to negotiate an extension with Wright or he may be testing free agency.

“I fully expect that David Wright and R.A. Dickey will be here not only next year, but long term," Alderson said. "As you all know, we have options on both those players, and it’s not our intention to simply rely on those options and go into next season and deal with their free agency after 2013. We’re going to deal with it up front while we still have a little bit of room to maneuver. But we’re committed to trying to bring those two back. I hope they’ll both be back, and I’m excited about the possibilities they will be."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...