Showing posts with label Miami Marlins. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Miami Marlins. Show all posts

Thursday, August 02, 2012

Mets News and Notes: Bay to Fish?, Wheeler, Inning Cap, Dickey, Francisco, Valdespin


Bell Back to Mets?
Mets News and Notes:

The Mets discussed sending Jason Bay to the Miami Marlins for closer Heath Bell and catcher John Buck, Ken Rosenthal reports.

Bay is owed $16 million next season, plus a $3 million buyout of a vesting option for 2014. That option only kicks in at $17 million if Bay has 600 plate appearances next season, which will not occur.

The ex-Met Bell is owed a combined $18 million in 2013 and 2014. Buck is owed $6 million next season.

Rosenthal added: "The deal never was close, sources said. But it would have enabled both clubs to purge players who are flopping miserably this season."

Highly regarded pitching prospect Zack Wheeler has been promoted to Triple-A Buffalo. He is scheduled to start Sunday for the Bisons against Syracuse, confirming Monday's ESPNNewYork.com report.

Wheeler, 22, went 10-6 with a 3.26 ERA in 19 starts with Double-A Binghamton. He allowed 92 hits, 43 walks and two homers while hitting 11 and striking out 117 in 116 innings.

General manager Sandy Alderson estimated Zack Wheeler likely will be capped at about 150 innings, while Matt Harvey can go 165 or 170 innings this season in the majors.  

Terry Collins said on his weekly radio show that it was likely R.A. Dickey would begin pitching on short rest once the Mets return home next week. That would afford extra rest for Johan Santana and Chris Young between starts. Each is returning from surgery to a repair torn anterior capsule in his pitching shoulder and has slowed of late.

Friday, May 11, 2012

Photo: Miami Marlin's New Ballpark




Kevin Burkhardt on WhoSay

Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Marlins Alert: Carlos Zambrano traded for Chris Volstad


The Cubs have traded starting pitcher Carlos Zambrano to the Marlins right-handed pitcher Chris Volstad.

The Cubs will pay most of Zambrano’s $18 million contract for 2012.

The deal was first reported by Ken Rosenthal of foxsports.com and is pending physical exams for both players.

Because Zambrano has a no-trade clause, he needs to give final approval, although a source says that hurdle has basically been cleared.

It also needs approval by the commissioner’s office because of the large sum of money involved.

Zambrano, 30, went 9-7 with a 4.82 ERA in 24 starts last season. He joins a starting rotation that would include ace Josh Johnson, newly-acquired Mark Buehrle, Anibal Sanchez and Ricky Nolasco.

Volstad, 25, went 5-13 with 4.89 ERA in 29 starts for the Marlins in 2011.

Tuesday, January 03, 2012

No More Tears.... Hanley Ramirez accepts move to third base


First off, Happy New Year... If your a Mets Fan, you did not miss anything.... But if you are following the Jose Reyes / Hanley Ramirez Love Fest in Miami here is the latest:

According to the NY Times, Hanley Ramirez says he'll accept a position switch to third base so Miami Marlins newcomer Jose Reyes can play shortstop.

When Reyes signed a $106 million, six-year deal with Miami last month, there was speculation Ramirez was unhappy about being supplanted at short. But new manager Ozzie Guillen sold Ramirez on the idea.

"I have spoken with Guillen," Ramirez said. "What we want is to win with the Marlins. We will see what's going to happen with the position switch and everything else. If it's third base, OK. Wherever they put me to win, I will do so."

With Reyes at shortstop and Ramirez at third, the Marlins become stronger defensively at both positions, and more potent offensively. Reyes hit .337 with the New York Mets last year to win the NL batting title, and Ramirez — a career .306 hitter — was the 2009 batting champ.

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Hanley Ramirez don't want to move to 3rd base?


According to the Miami Herald , Miami Marlins' Exec Larry Beinfest did not make it clear about Hanley Ramirez’s conversations with the team and whether he is still resisting a move to third base, necessitated by the signing of shortstop Jose Reyes.

Asked if he is confident Ramirez wants to be with the Marlins next season, Beinfest said, “I’ll keep it internal. The one thing I know is he wants to win. He’s a very proud guy. We want him here.”

The Marlins have said repeatedly that they do not plan to trade Ramirez, though several teams (reportedly including the Red Sox) have inquired.

But asked if Ramirez has made it clear to the organization that he would accept a move to third, Beinfest said, “The conversations we’ve had, we’re going to keep between us. But there’s been quite a bit of communication. He’s excited about playing for Ozzie Guillen. Ozzie is excited to have him. Everyone reacts to change differently.

Thursday, December 08, 2011

Albert Pujols Chooses Hollywood over Miami Beach



While the Los Angeles Angels' signing of free-agent first baseman Albert Pujols to a 10-year contract for around $255 million stunned the baseball world, there was a development that was even more remarkable.

Pujols actually left money on the table.

Pujols rejected the Miami Marlins' offer of 10 years, $275 million a day earlier, according to two people familiar with the offer but not authorized to discuss it due to the sensitive nature of the negotiations.

MLB Network analyst suggested that the Marlins "NO-Trade" team policy was the obstacle that kept him from moving to Miami Beach, even though the money was there...

With incentives and no state tax in Florida, the actual value of the deal could have been worth nearly $300 million.

Pujols also turned down an offer north of $200 million to stay with the Cardinals, and the fact he left his longtime team despite such a lucrative offer to stay no doubt will emerge as a narrative in St. Louis.

Wednesday, December 07, 2011

More Bad New for the Mets, Mark Buehrle signs with the Fish


The Mets will have to over achieve to receive a play-off spot in 2012,  because the NL East just got a little tougher.


After signing both Jose Reyes and Heath Bell, they've added a third All-Star via free agency. Starting pitcher Mark Buehrle has been signed to a four-year, $58 million contract by the Miami Marlins, the news was first reported by Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports.

Buehrle rejoins manager Ozzie Guillen, who managed him with the White Sox from 2004 to late last season.

Buehrle, 32, had previously played all 12 seasons with the White Sox. He'll now head to South Beach and serve as the number two pitcher behind Josh Johnson -- assuming Johnson is healthy. Buehrle was 13-9 with a 3.59 ERA and 1.30 WHIP last season. He also won his third consecutive Gold Glove.

Buehrle's biggest value lies in his durability. In the past 11 seasons, he has never made fewer than 30 starts or thrown fewer than 201 innings.

This signing means the Marlins are likely out of the bidding on C.J. Wilson, putting the Angels as the frontrunner. Also, it could very well be an indication the Marlins have backed off of signing Albert Pujols.

Monday, December 05, 2011

Jose Reyes and Marlins officially agree to terms, Albert Pujols Next?


The Miami Marlins and shortstop Jose Reyes agreed to terms on a six-year, $106 million deal Sunday, sources have told ESPN.

The guarantee for the first six years totals $102 million, sources said. The deal includes a $22 million option for a seventh year, with a guaranteed $4 million.

Reyes, 28, is coming off the best year in his career. He hit .337 for the New York Mets to win his first batting title. In nine years, all with the Mets, he has batted .292 with 370 steals and 740 runs scored.

Earlier in the off-season, Miami offered Reyes a six-year, $90 million deal, which he rejected.

Sunday, December 04, 2011

Looks Like Jose Reyes is taking his talents to Miami Beach, Mets out of the running for the Shortstop


According to Brian Costa of the Wall Street Journal, the Mets are officially out of the bidding for free-agent shortstop Jose Reyes, according to a baseball official briefed on the negotiations.

The team was informed Sunday that the Miami Marlins increased their offer to Reyes to six years and more than $100 million, the official said, effectively ending whatever hopes the Mets had of re-signing him.

The Mets had been willing to offer five years and up to $80 million, with a vesting option for a sixth year. But according to the official briefed on the negotiations, Reyes's agents informed the Mets that Reyes would not accept such a deal.

Breaking News: Marlins Offer Jose Reyes a Six Year, $106 Million Dollar Deal with Option for 7th Year


Bye, Bye,  Jose Reyes?

The Miami Marlins have put themselves in a position to acquire shortstop Jose Reyes.

The revamped franchise has offered Reyes a deal worth a minimum of $111 million, sources told ESPNDeportesLosAngeles.com.

According to the sources, Miami would pay Reyes $106 million for six years, with an option for a seventh year for $22 million. If they decide not to use the option, they would pay Reyes $5 million.

Earlier in the offseason, Miami offered Reyes a six-year, $90 million deal, which he rejected.

Reyes, 28, is coming off the best year in his career. He hit .337 for the New York Mets to win his first batting title. In nine years, all with the Mets, he is batting .292 with 370 steals and 740 runs scored.

Saturday, December 03, 2011

If Mets Lose Jose Reyes to Marlins, they will get a sandwich pick between the first and second rounds plus the Marlins' third-round pick


According to Adam Rubin of ESPN NY, If the Mets lose Reyes to Miami they will get a sandwich pick between the first and second rounds created from thin air, plus the Marlins' third-round pick, according to a Major League Baseball official.

Under the old and new systems, Miami's first-round pick is protected, because it is ninth overall. So the Mets and other clubs won't cash in on that..

In Addition, the teams that lose New Type A players as free agents, assuming arbitration had been offered, will get basically the same type of compensation they would under the old system. But the pick will not come from the signing team.

So, for instance, the Marlins are signing Bell. Under the old system, San Diego would get a pick between the first and second rounds created out of thin air, plus Miami's second-round pick (ninth in that round). Under the new agreement, the Padres instead get two picks created from thin air -- the sandwich pick between the first and second rounds, plus pick 9a in the second round, immediately before the Marlins select.

Marlins Pursuit of Jose Reyes and Other Free Agents might be hampered by team's policy against no-trade clauses


Marlins baseball operations president Larry Beinfest spoke with beat writers late this afternoon. And despite all of the buzz around the team’s pursuit of free agents, Larry offered little insight.
“We have nothing to announce, nothing to report on,” he said when asked about multiple reports that the team has reached an agreement with closer Heath Bell.
The Marlins are pushing hard to sign Jose Reyes this weekend, but that was not something Larry talked about, either.
“It’s hard to say,” he replied when asked about the chances the team could sign at least two players before the winter meetings start Monday.
“We’ve been active. We’ve been trying to do some things since the season ended. It’s always hard to put down a timetable.”

Earlier today, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reported that the Marlins’ biggets obstacle in signing pitcher Mark Buehrle is the team’s policy against including no-trade clauses in contracts.

Beinfest didn’t talk about the Buerhle negotiations, but he said in general the team’s policy has never been a big obstacle in the past. He noted that Carlos Delgado didn’t have a no-trade clause in the four-year, $52 million contract he signed with the Marlins in January 2005. (Delgado was traded after the ’05 season to the Mets.)

Miami Marlins Stadium Deal being Investigated by the SEC


The Marlins have been the most aggressive team in wooing free agents and they've been able to do that not only because the team is readying to open a new ballpark, but also because the new stadium was built with a sweetheart of a deal from the city of Miami that has cost the team relatively little.

That deal, though, is now being investigated by the SEC -- not the one with Georgia and LSU, but the big one, the U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission.

The Miami Herald reports the SEC has opened what it called a "wide-ranging investigation" into the Marlins' ballpark deal with the city of Miami and Miami-Dade County. The city and county have until Jan. 6 to "deliver everything from minutes of meetings between government leaders and Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria and Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig, to records of Marlins finances dating back to 2007." The SEC also wants documents about stadium parking garages built by the city government.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...