Saturday, November 23, 2013
First baseman Allan Dykstra, who earned Eastern League MVP honors this past season with Double-A Binghamton, suffered a broken fibula while playing in winter ball.
Dykstra, 26, hit .274 with 21 homers and 82 RBIs in 372 at-bats with the B-Mets in 2013. A former first-round pick of the San Diego Padres, he was acquired late in spring training in 2011 in a change-of-scenery swap for reliever Eddie Kunz.
Dykstra had played in 13 games for Magallanes in Venezuela this winter season before suffering the injury on the bases. He was hitting .395 with one homer and a .489 on-base percentage.
Friday, September 27, 2013
The Mets have announced their organization awards, they named first baseman Allan Dykstra and catcher Kevin Plawecki as their co-minor league players of the year. Right-hander Gabriel Ynoa has been named the organization's top pitching performer. Dykstra hit 21 HR's and drove in 82 RBI's, Ynoa won 17 games including two post-season games and had a ERA of 2.72 with 106 K's in 135 innings. Plawecki batted .305 with 80 RBI's.
Those prospects, along with individual level award winners, will be honored during a pregame ceremony at Citi Field on Friday night.
The individual level Sterling Award winners:
• Right-hander Rafael Montero (Las Vegas)
• Right-handers Noah Syndergaard and Jeff Walters (Binghamton)
• Outfielder/third baseman Dustin Lawley (St. Lucie)
• First baseman Jayce Boyd (Savannah)
• Right-hander Robert Whalen (Kingsport)
• Right-hander Robert Gsellman (Brooklyn)
• First baseman Dominic Smith (Gulf Coast League)
• Outfielder John Mora and left-hander Jose Medina (Dominican Summer League)
Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Kunz debuted in the majors in 2008, one year after he was drafted. But he bottomed out in recent campaigns, spending all of 2010 at Double A with a 5.34 ERA.
Dykstra, a 23-year-old first baseman, homered 16 times and posted an .810 on-base plus slugging percentage in high Class-A ball last season.