Sunday, August 19, 2012
Mets News and Notes: 2013 Payroll, Santana, Trading Santana, Cablevision Blackout, AL Central in 2013, Mejia
The Mets' payroll, which suffered an historical one-year drop last offseason, is expected to remain the same, at roughly $90 million, for 2013... "They may have $10 million to $15 million max to spend -- if Sandy is lucky," the source said.
The largest salary commitments coming off the books this winter:
• $5.6875 million from the expected non-tendering of right-hander Mike Pelfrey, who missed most of the season following Tommy John surgery on May 1.
• $3.5 million for right-hander Jon Rauch.
• $2.65 million for right-hander Ramon Ramirez.
• $1.15 million for infielder Ronny Cedeno.
• $1.1 million for outfielder Scott Hairston.
• $1 million for left-handed reliever Tim Byrdak.
Add in the potential non-tendering of arbitration-eligible outfielder Andres Torres ($2.7 million) and that would mean roughly $17.8 million being freed -- with gaping holes to fill.