What's Your Language?

Thursday, April 20, 2017

Mets News and Notes: Matz, Lugo, Wright

Mets News and Notes: Matz, Lugo, Wright

Mets general manager Sandy Alderson and manager Terry Collins both confirmed that pitchers Seth Lugo (elbow) and Steven Matz (elbow) will begin throwing Wednesday. The duo will start with 75-feet long toss and progress to 150-feet before throwing off a mound, Alderson said. He added it will "take a while" before the two return. As far as Lugo's progression, Alderson admitted that only time will tell. Matz, a left-hander, missed his final spring training start and was shut down for three weeks due to inflammation in his left elbow. He was put on the disabled list to start the season after receiving PRP injections.

Much like Lugo, the Mets are still unsure what caused Matz' discomfort, but Alderson said his progression will "move forward in the absence of symptoms." Alderson admitted it was possible that Matz could return by the end of May, but he must go through a "full rehab program." He explained the program as starting with a couple of weeks rest, progressing to long toss, which begins tomorrow, throwing off a mound and having five or six starts before rejoining the team. Lugo started eight games and went 5-2 with a 2.67 ERA last year, while Matz went 9-8 last season with a 3.40 ERA in 132 innings.

David Wright, who throw soft toss in the batting cage before Wednesday night’s game, said he was doing the same activities he was doing before the flu: taking groundballs, soft toss, hitting and running. “I got sick, no setbacks,” Wright said. “It was the flu. Hoping to ramp up the throwing soon.” Mets GM Sandy Alderson said there was a minor lower back issue with Wright last week and Collins had said he had been shut down for 10 days from throwing. Either way, Wright is still long ways away from a return.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...