Friday, August 22, 2014
Mets Rumors: Mets to take a look at Cuban defector shortstop Roberto Carlos
According to Mike Puma of the NY Post, the Mets will take a look at Roberto Carlos, a 28-year-old shortstop who left the Cuban national team in Mexico in November 2012.
Carlos, a switch hitter, departed the U.S. last year after a stint playing independent baseball and settled in the Dominican Republic, hoping to gain more exposure.
For the Cuban national team in 2012 — he previously used the name Roberto Carlos Ramirez — he batted .339 with four homers and 49 RBIs, but there are concerns he has not played at a high competition level over the last two years.
A source familiar with the player said Carlos may have “slipped through the baseball cracks” because he didn’t have representation after defecting from Cuba.
The Mets are looking to upgrade at shortstop, and need options if they fail for a second straight offseason to land somebody in the major league free-agent or trade market.
As it stands, the team is auditioning Wilmer Flores at shortstop, but hasn’t given up on Ruben Tejada. The organization also is high on Matt Reynolds, who entered Thursday batting .339 for Triple-A Las Vegas, but there are concerns whether he can play the position on an everyday basis.
“I think it’s a matter of there might be some scouting differences of opinion, and kind of where we are and what we’re going to do in the immediate future, so there are lots of issues involved,” Alderson said.
“We scout them now, so it’s not as if we’re not aware of what is going on,” Alderson said. “It’s not like we’re not aware of who is out there.
“We are not looking at that market necessarily to solve our problems. But you need to be active in all the player-acquisition markets — participate and be aware that you have those as options.”
Like Us on Facebook By Clicking Like Below to Get Latest Updates
Sign Up For Email Updates:
Powered By EasyTins