Recap on Mets Off-season Playbook:
1. They are not likely to sign free-agent outfielders Shin-Soo Choo or Jacoby Ellsbury.
2. They are shopping Ike Davis, who they feel needs a change of scenery.
3. They like free-agent SS Jhonny Peralta, who will not cost a draft pick.
4. They have quality pitching to trade.
5. They’ll be in the market for roster depth, including a back-up catcher, one innings-eating and at least one late-inning reliever.
Matthew Cerrone of Metsblog.com says the Mets will be aggressive and go after Jhonny Peralta to set the tone for the off-season.
He thinks the Mets will gauge the value of their players and can make a meaningful move by offering a combination of Ike Davis, Daniel Murphy, Wilmer Flores, Dillon Gee, Rafael Montero. The Mets could look to the A's, Rockies, Dodgers, Angels for offensive help.
If the Mets like a player like Aoki, they may strike quick, for reasons Joel Sherman pointed out in his article...save them money and solve the lead-off problem. Cerrone says New York Post columnist Joel Sherman talked to Mets officials, outside officials and agents over the past few days to better get a sense of where the Mets are heading and how he based his predictions for the 2014...
The Hot Stove is just beginning..... Lets Go Mets