Sunday, August 04, 2013

Mets News: Mets will go to five man rotation until Jon Niese returns


Mets News:
Here's Jonny!


The Mets temporarily will abandon the six-man rotation they have been employing, then return to it once Jonathon Niese is activated from the disabled list.

Carlos Torres, who has pitched strongly in relief, including contributing two scoreless innings and earning the win Friday night against the Kansas City Royals, will revert to the bullpen.

Torres had been listed as Saturday's starter. But Terry Collins said the Mets had decided to return him to a relief role even before Torres was pressed into extra-inning duty Friday, because the Mets do not have Bobby Parnell available due to a neck issue and did not want to be shorthanded in the bullpen.

Now, Jeremy Hefner pitches Saturday afternoon and Zack Wheeler pitches on Sunday against K.C., both on standard rest. After Monday's team off-day, the Mets will employ a rotation of Jenrry Mejia, Matt Harvey and Dillon Gee against the Colorado Rockies.

Niese plans to make a final rehab start Tuesday for Class A Brooklyn as he returns from a partial tear of the rotator cuff in his left shoulder.

Collins said the Mets will return to a six-man rotation once Niese rejoins the team.

The primary objective of the six-man rotation is to ensure Harvey's and Wheeler's starts are spaced out so they do not hit their innings caps and need to be shut down before the end of the season.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...