Friday, December 03, 2010

NY Daily News - Alderson vows change with new players at the winter meetings


The new Mets GM met with reporters Friday, and answered several housekeeping questions concerning his plan to fill out the remainder of the 2011 roster.

In the NY Daily News, Alderson stated, "I can guarantee you, we'll come back with some good players," Alderson said. "I can't guarantee how high-profile they will be, or how many. If nothing else, we'll pick in the Rule 5 draft, just to say we brought a player back."

Alderson indicated the team's goals at the meetings will be to discuss adding rotation and bullpen depth, a backup catcher and a fourth outfielder. He also expects to interview candidates for Howard Johnson's replacement as the team's hitting coach and to soon meet with predecessor Omar Minaya about a potential role in the organization.


Alderson also expects $36 million bust Oliver Perez will be "coming to spring training," adding that he and new manager Terry Collins are likely to head to Mexico at some point to watch the lefty pitch in winter ball.

The GM added that non-tendered players Chris Carter, Sean Green and John Maine aren't expected to return, and neither is Pedro Feliciano, who is seeking a multi-year deal as a free agent after rejecting the Mets' offer of salary arbitration earlier this
week.

Henry Blanco still might be back, though, as the backup catcher to Josh Thole, but Alderson said the team has not yet engaged him in talks. He also said the organization's preference is to give youngsters Jenrry Mejia and Ruben Tejada more seasoning at Triple-A.

Lastly he added, don't expect any contract extensions from players like Jose Reyes...

It's going to be interesting to see how Sandy Alderson's plan goes in to effect..
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...